Walking for weight loss is one of the simplest things you can do!
By: Nicole Teitler
Isn’t it amazing how one of the most basic things we do, every day, also happens to be one of the healthiest? We’re talking about, of course, walking! When you walk for as little as 30 minutes a day, whether it be on a treadmill or outdoors, you reap some serious rewards such as increased cardiovascular fitness, boosting endurance, and reducing the risk of certain diseases.
And walking for weight loss, or to avoid gaining excess pounds, is extremely easy to implement into a standard workout routine. It’s low impact, can be done anywhere, anytime, and there’s no equipment necessary. Plus, you can do other things at the same time, such as listening to a podcast or while talking on the phone. Multitaskers, rejoice!
So, if you’re looking for some help on how to lose that extra weight, we have the tools for you — a 28-day walking plan for weight loss! This plan is set to be your new best friend and a great add-on to any fitness routine.
Walking For Weight Loss & Overall Health
It’s hard to believe that something we do every day, most times on auto-pilot, can be the key to a healthier lifestyle and a cornerstone to weight management. Science suggests that walking improves overall health by:
- Reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Improving balance
- Strengthening bones and reducing the risk of age-related bone loss
- Lower the risk of high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes
Anyone of any age and any fitness level can easily achieve these results by simply taking the first step — literally. So, the next time you’re sweating it off while strengthening those muscles using the FitOn app, add in walking for added weight loss. You can even log those extra steps using the FitOn app and keep track of all your progress.
Ready to start your walking and weight loss plan? Let’s get to it!
28 Day Walking Plan For Weight Loss
Walking for exact weight-loss is dependent on several factors such as weight, walking speed, and genetics being the most prevalent. But noting that you can burn calories just by walking is motivation in itself.
For our 28 day plan, we’re focusing on three types of walking:
- Steady Walk: think of this like you’re running errands in a hurry, timing at a 20-minute mile (or average 3 miles per hour).
- Brisk Walk: a walk where you’re a bit out of breath, but can still keep the pace for the entire time. Add in intervals of quicker speeds with slower speeds, and hills from time to time.
- Power Walk: the highest level of walking, you’ll use your arms (and weights, if you have them) for full power the entire time. You can add in hills and elevation gain as well if you choose.
And regardless of your pace, there are so many ways to boost your walking workout with additional calorie-busting hacks!
Now, let’s achieve your best self with this FitOn 28 day walking for weight loss plan that combines the best of our training tips along with simple to follow walking exercises.
Tip — Sign up for FitOn for unlimited access to amazing workouts, including the ones that we have sprinkled into this 28 day walking for weight loss plan.
- Day 1: 30-minute steady walk followed by this Take Ten Tabata workout with Breann Mitchell.
- Day 2: Go for a full mile at a brisk walk, and don’t stop until you’ve achieved it. Then cool down with a Healthy Knees Mobility stretch with Dr. Jen Fraboni.
- Day 3: Get a Pilates Pump with Jeni DelPozo before you finish off your sweat sesh with a 40-minute brisk walk.
- Day 4: Rest Day
- Day 5: 30-minute steady walk
- Day 6: 45-minute steady walk
- Day 7: Conclude your workout week with your first power walk at 20 minutes.
- Day 1: 30-minute brisk walk followed by Flow & Stretch yoga with Vuori.
- Day 2: Total Body Blast with Bree Koegel followed by a 40-minute steady walk
- Day 3: 40-minute brisk walk
- Day 4: Today is all about the power walk. Aim for 30 minutes, but go longer if you can.
- Day 5: Rest Day
- Day 6: 30-minute power walk
- Day 7: Start with 20 minutes of a brisk walk then take it down to 20 more of a steady walk, followed by this Abs All Day quick core workout with Jeni DelPozo.
- Day 1: One hour of a steady walk, but push yourself to really go the distance. Then, roll out your mat for a Chill Out Flow with Vytas to release tension and cool down. .
- Day 2: Dance & Sweat it out with Shantani Moore to warm up your body and finish with a 40-minute power walk.
- Day 3: Rest day
- Day 4: 30 minutes of a steady walk followed by Affirm Your Arms with Kenny Ferrer.
- Day 5: 45 minutes of a brisk walk
- Day 6: 40 minutes of a brisk walk followed by Cardio Booty Burn with Lex Fischer.
- Day 7: 40 minutes of a steady walk
- Day 1: One hour of a brisk walk, or 3 miles, followed by Posterior Chain Movement and mobility with Kelly Starrett from The Ready State.
- Day 2: Today, try Yin Yoga Bliss with Vytas followed by a 20-minute steady walk.
- Day 3: 30-minute power walk and a 10-minute steady walk followed by Blazing Guns with Kenta.
- Day 4: Rest day
- Day 5: 20 minutes of a steady walk, 20 minutes of a brisk walk, and push yourself further with a 10 (or 15, if you have it in you) power walk, followed by our Lean Legs toning workout with Vuori
- Day 6: 45 minutes of a steady walk
- Day 7: 1 hour of power walk
A Walking For Fitness Class
Not feeling a walk outside today but have 20 minutes to just get your body moving? Try this FitOn Walking Fitness class with FitOn trainer Bree Koegel. Walk your heart out to high-energy music! You’ll have walked a whole mile in place by the end of this workout.