Are you interested in working in Canada? If so, you’ll need to obtain a work permit before you can start earning a living in the country. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps you need to take to get a work permit in Canada, including where to find helpful resources and tools to make the process as smooth as possible.
Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility
Before you begin the process of applying for a work permit in Canada, it’s important to determine whether you are eligible to work in the country. There are a variety of factors that can impact your eligibility, including your occupation, level of education, language proficiency, and criminal history.
The Government of Canada’s website has a helpful tool that you can use to determine whether you are eligible to work in the country. Simply answer a few questions about your background and experience, and the tool will provide you with guidance on the type of work permit you may be eligible for.
Step 2: Choose the Right Type of Work Permit
Once you’ve determined your eligibility to work in Canada, the next step is to choose the right type of work permit for your situation. There are several types of work permits available in Canada, including:
- Employer-specific work permits: These permits are issued to individuals who have a specific job offer from a Canadian employer.
- Open work permits: These permits allow you to work for any Canadian employer, without the need for a specific job offer.
- International Mobility Program work permits: These permits are issued to individuals who are coming to Canada to work on a temporary basis, and who are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) process.
- Global Talent Stream work permits: These permits are issued to highly skilled workers in certain fields, and provide expedited processing times.
The Government of Canada’s website has detailed information on each type of work permit, as well as guidance on which one may be right for your situation.
Step 3: Gather Your Documents
To apply for a work permit in Canada, you’ll need to gather a variety of documents to support your application. These may include:
- A valid passport or travel document
- A job offer from a Canadian employer (if applicable)
- Proof of your education and qualifications
- Language test results (if applicable)
- A police certificate (if applicable)
The Government of Canada’s website has a helpful tool that you can use to determine which documents you’ll need to submit with your work permit application.
Step 4: Submit Your Application
Once you’ve gathered all of the necessary documents, it’s time to submit your work permit application. You can apply for a work permit online through the Government of Canada’s website, or you can submit a paper application by mail.
Be sure to follow the instructions carefully when submitting your application, and provide all of the required documents and information to avoid delays in processing.
Step 5: Wait for a Decision
After you’ve submitted your work permit application, you’ll need to wait for a decision from the Government of Canada. The processing times for work permit applications can vary depending on a variety of factors, including the type of work permit you’re applying for and the volume of applications being processed at the time.
You can check the status of your work permit application online using the Government of Canada’s website.
Helpful Resources and Tools
- Government of Canada’s website on work permits: This is the go-to resource for information on work permits in Canada. The website has detailed information on eligibility requirements, types of work permits, and the application process.
- Job Bank: This website allows you to search for job opportunities in Canada, and can be a helpful tool if you’re looking for a job offer to support your work permit application.
- ArriveCAN app: This app allows you to submit your travel information